In his mid-twenties Scott had started to became aware of the health dangers and environmental impacts associated with traditional oil painting processes as well as the toxic, crude oil by-products used to make surfing equipment. Always striving for positive change, he decided to combine his passions and set out to find the most eco friendly products available and become both an eco conscious surfer and artist. After two years of researching, sourcing and testing eco art materials, he started painting surf scenes with the intention to share with the surfing community to help educate surfers and brands about the impacts of traditional surf products and marine conservation issues.
Scott is also in the process of writing a book/how-to guide to educate and help other artists make the transition to a healthy, non-toxic and environmentally friendly studio.
“Combining my lifelong passions of surfing, art and the environment, I hope to inspire a shift in thinking among surfers and artists to pursue their passion with an eco friendly outlook. I also strive to educate anyone who is stoked on my surf art, surfing and the ocean about the environmental issues facing our oceans, beaches and surf breaks.”
Scott’s inspiring contemporary and abstract ocean scenes are a reflection of the surfing fraternities endless search for the perfect wave – freedom, raw power, perfection and untouched beauty – the state in which all oceans and surf breaks should be conserved indefinitely. His attention to detail and appetite to experiment and improve means his style is constantly maturing and finding new ways to keep fans and collectors stoked.
Get to know Scotty
I thought I’d share are few things about me that don’t involve my art.
- I am 32
- I have studied traditional Japanese karate for many years and hold black belts in a couple of different styles.
- I bodyboard, surf (both shortboard and longboard) and bodysurf – I also shape my own bodysurfing handplanes.
- My dogs name is Ringo Starr, he’s a pure Havanese. I bet you had no idea that was even a breed… don’t worry, I didn’t either.
- Music is a big part of my life and I listen to a lot of different types of music.
- I have been involved in the punk/hardcore music scene over half my life and with my friends ran all-ages shows bringing bands from all over the world to the Sunshine Coast for almost a decade.
- I don’t drink alcohol, smoke or take any drugs. Haven’t since July 2003.
- When I travel, I love to get off the beaten track and prefer to immerse myself in the culture and live/interact with locals.